Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Goals

I can't believe it's May.  May is an exciting month for me.  In 11 days, somehow, I will have finished three papers.  Then I will graduate!  My program has been a little bit bittersweet for me.  I went in pretty convinced I would be a professor, but my experiences at Harvard showed me that it really isn't the career path for me.  I've learned a lot, but most of all I've found that I'd be happier in another setting.  I still don't know exactly what my career path looks like.  Research is really exciting for me, and I have a passion for issues of poverty, but nonprofit jobs can be hard to find and don't tend to offer generous salaries.  I'm so lucky to have Dave with a steady job, but I had always imagined myself as a hard working breadwinner.  The feminist side of me (which, granted, I didn't have much of before I went to Harvard) is somewhat uncomfortable with the idea that I could be supported by my husband while I waltz around doing social service work.  Anyway, I know this blog isn't about me, but it's an interesting time.

The best news is that, for the summer, I have a fantastic internship doing research for a grassroots mobilization project.  AND...I get to work from home!  Jonah is thrilled.

That also means that today I have to give notice at my current job, something I always hate doing.

Oh, and did I mention I have to write some papers?...

Anyway, April was a busy month, too.  I wrote 37 posts, an all time high.  I hope no one minds the short dogwalk updates.  I know they're better with videos but I can't find that darn tripod.  Yarg.  Here were our goals for the month:
1.  Start our running DW!!  By the end of the month, I want to have worked through the carpet stage and the flat plank stage, and be starting to put it up to a ramp.  This in itself will be a big goal!
     Yes!!  We're at 30" and Jonah has done three perfect sessions in a row.  Until a few days ago I would have told you that progress is really slow, but something clicked and now I'm really thrilled with how things are going.

2.  It would be really, really amazing if we could finish our Level 4 standard title this month.  That means going 5/5.  It's unlikely, but would be a huge success, and would mean that our nationals runs for standard would all be at level 5.
     No.  This was a bit of a disappointment, but I knew it would be difficult to do.  I did not expect that we would miss 3/5.  That's pretty bad for us.  One slip and fall off the dogwalk, one teeter flyoff and one missed discrimination.  Humph.  Now it will be a bit of a tall order to do 3/3 at nationals, so I may go to Gemini and try to pick up one beforehand.  Oh well, sometimes things don't go well.  I also have to be prepared for our Q rate to go down once we first introduce running dogwalks at competition.

3.  Finish Jackpot Level 4.  We'll have two tries.
     Yes.  We needed two tries thanks to my stupid greed (I tried to get more points and ended up over time).  In the one we missed, though, we did get all 3 jackpots.  In the one we got, it was a challenging one that few people achieved.  So, our distance work is looking decent.  Hopefully nationals will be a traditional gamble so I won't be tempted by greed.

4.  Finish Wildcard Level 4.  We'll have two tries at this, too.
    Yes.  Unfortunately we needed both tries at this as well.  In the first one he had a moment of Dad-distraction which led him to an off-course jump.  The rest of the course was lovely at least.  Sunday's wildcard that we got was pretty good, although it lacked a little pizzaz.

5.  Get Jonah to be able to tug away from home.  I don't know if we'll get to tugging at an agility location, but at least at Willards or a field or on trails will be a start.
     Yes.  This has been going quite well.  He did actually tug at the trial this weekend before his standard run.  The result:  a teeter flyoff.  Oops.  But if we suddenly had a problem of too much motivation, I wouldn't be too upset.  At least it's a change, and he's having more fun.  Of course, the two runs after that run he was much more his chill self.


So now the month of May.
1.  2 Qs at our USDAA trial.  I've entered 2 Standard runs, a Snooker, and Steeplechase (all S's). 
2.  Full height running dogwalk.  Ambitious, but if things keep going the way they have been, I think it's doable.
3.  Practice discriminations and contact-to-tunnel turns.
4.  Work on teeter performance so he's faster and also doesn't consider flying off.
5.  Keep tugging.  I'd like for him to tug at both DogStar and the USDAA trial.


I'm looking forward to a great month.  I should actually have some time to work with Jonah and get him in good shape for Nationals.  Now if it would only stop raining...

No comments:

Post a Comment