Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Little Off

Today we went to Grace's for our lesson.  Jonah started great.  Grace set up a tunnel next to the dw and we practiced our "left" and "right" cues on the down of the ramp and also did the tunnel with a tight 180 degree turn to the dw.  He was awesome!  I had to give the cue earlier than I thought (while he was still on the top part), but once I got that down we were flying, and he was nailing the contact.

Then he got hot.  It was a hot, humid day, and after 10 minutes of running he needed a break.  I didn't think much of it.  It is hard work, after all.  He got a drink and we practiced the table for a little while.  Then I thought he'd pick right back up, but he didn't.  He was slow, and then he started looking a little gimpy on his right hind.  Doh.

So, we practiced some weave entries for which he was sometimes amazing and then missed some easier ones.  He was never really lame, but never got back to full steam.  I went back to the dw and he was slow.  He actually did a 2o2o at one point, something he hasn't done in a long time.  We ended up just calling it a day after a good little sequence.

Then we went to a pond and went swimming.  Happy dog.

I decided not to go to ARFF since he wasn't full strength.  Of course, he was flying around the yard without any noticeable problem, but better to be safe.  I don't expect this to be a lasting injury but I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment