Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Skillz

I've gotten so excited about our new agility area that I've been doing a lot of coursework lately.  That's a good thing, of course, but I realized that I hadn't tested a lot of our skills in a while.  So, I'd like to focus on doing skills in between courses.

Today we worked on distance with the 'specialty' obstacles.  Here's what we did:

  • Table work.  I sent him out straight away from me and also worked on lateral distance.  He was good with the distance, but his downs are not as fast as I'd like.  We'll have to keep working there.
  • Weaves.  It was funny that we had trouble with an angled weave entry in our course, because Jonah was fantastic in this skills session.  I sent him out at about a 45 degree angle for the entries, and he nailed every one and weaved super fast.  I was about 20 feet away.  Not bad, considering we haven't done weave distance work much at all lately.
  • Teeter.  There is a big tree right next to the teeter which added the additional difficulty of Jonah not being able to see me while I crossed on the other side of it.  It didn't probe to be any problem, though, and he drove out to the teeter at about a 20 foot distance.  
  • Dogwalk.  Since Jonah loves his dogwalk, I was able to get a full 30 feet away and he still nailed his contact every time.  If only he would do that at a trial!
So, I thought that was a good session of skills.  I want to work on discriminations, as well.  I should also make sure I do some short sequences rather than full length courses.  Tough jump lines of 3-4 jumps are good exercise, too.  I want to keep our sessions at home highly motivating, so shorter is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment