Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pinwheels and Bees

Today I set up a pinwheel in the backyard.  This was an attempt to do an easy exercise at high speed, work on distance and have high rewards.  It was generally successful.  Jonah was excited and fast, and I brought out the food tube with applesauce and peanut butter for tasty rewards.  The distance had mixed results.  If I stopped and didn't push into the pocket, he would not drive out to the middle jump, and he'd just take the first and third more like a serpentine.  I did a quick session and then took a break.  When we came back he was better.  With an "out jump" command, I could stay a few feet away from jumps 1 and 3 and he would drive out to the middle jump.  If I hustled, I could get an FC in on the landing side of the last jump.  It's an exercise I'd like to set up again and keep working on.  At the same time, I've only had to do a few pinwheels in trials.

Here's what it looked like:
The double dashed line was about the distance I was able to get on a good attempt, after some practice.  I'd like to be able to improve that.  In general, it's not too much of a problem to push into the pocket, but it would be good if I didn't have to.  When I tried to put in the FC on the landing side of the third jump, it became obvious that more distance would be beneficial--I really had to move to get the cross in time.  Another option would be to put an FC between the second and third jumps.

I always approached the pinwheel straight ahead, like the vertical arrow in the map (of course, I switched sides).  I'd like to get to the point where we could also run it laterally, more like the diagonal arrow on the map.  This would require a RC at the first jump and a strong 'out' to get to the second.  We're not quite ready for that yet, but I think it's a good goal.

In other news, I tried to push back one of the edges of our agility area today, and when I moved a log I disturbed a bees nest.  I felt the first sting and backed away, but a few followed me and I ended up with five stings.  It could have been a lot worse, and most of them didn't even hurt that much.  One on my right knee had the stinger stuck in it.  Even after pulling it out it was stinging a lot, and within minutes my knee was swollen almost as big as right after my ACL surgery.  I was going to bike into school today, but it hurt to bend my knee and so I wussed out and drove instead.  Sorry, environment.  When I got back I went to look for the nest but I couldn't find it.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow.  I was excited about having a bigger space, but bees aren't the greatest thing to have in your agility area...

No comments:

Post a Comment