Monday, April 9, 2012

Ugh!

Well, the camera died so I don't have footage for this afternoon's sessions, but it's probably better that way--they were quite discouraging!

I had apparently dropped some cookies on the ground, so Jonah was quite distracted by that.  He'd get excited and run the board, but then he wouldn't want to come back to me to do it again.  He just sniffed around.  That made for low energy from him and frustration from me.  In addition, he wasn't running well. He missed a few times so I put the board down to almost on the ground, and he was still just not focused.  We finished pretty fast, as soon as he had a nice Jackpot.

Then, a few minutes later he was looking very agitated and ill.  I was worried about him.  Another few minutes and he was fine again, but I don't know what was going on.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

A few hours later we went out to try again.  I moved the board so it wasn't where the cookies had been.  Well, the sniffing was gone, but he just wasn't very consistent.  I wasn't throwing the ball perfectly, but he wasn't being gracious about it, either.  If it wasn't perfectly straight, he'd jump off the side of the board.  He lept a few times, too.  I put the board almost flat and he was good enough that I could stop, but I was overall a little disappointed, though I tried not to show it.

I'm thinking I've been drilling him too hard.  I may give him tomorrow completely off.  If I do anything, it will just be one (hopefully short) session.  I'm learning quickly that I can't push this.  Not only can I not raise the height quickly, but I can't take for granted that he'll do the same height well just because he did it before.  Hopefully at some point he'll really 'get it' and understand that he's supposed to put his feet in the yellow.  Grace said it just clicked for Punk one day, so I'm anxiously waiting for that!  Jonah means well, he just doesn't understand yet.

In other news, we have new boards!  I've started priming, but it will take me a few days/a week or so before I have them operational.  Still, very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment