Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday Planking

Here's the video from this morning.  It was a good session:


Then, this evening I tried to move things up.  Let's just say it didn't go as I'd planned.

First I put the plank on the table with the bottom off of it.  It was about 10", and maybe 6" higher than it was before.  That was too much.  He had a few jackpots and a reward or so, but he started leaping and so it was clear that I needed to bring it down.  Unfortunately the leaping continued some even after I'd brought it down.

Our second segment was back to what we'd done for the last few days, and he was good but not quite as sharp as he has been.

Next I put just the table top on the ground.  Unfortunately I didn't get video.  It wasn't any problem for him, though.  He was 100% I'm pretty sure.  I was concerned that just having the table was really changing his stride, so I wanted to make it as easy as possible.  It worked.

Finally I raised the table top just four inches or so.  It's actually lower than what we've been doing for the last few days, by half an inch or so.  It does make a difference for him, though.  I plan to keep it at this height for a few days.  Today I moved too fast.  He's still very excited to work on the plank, but I don't want to burn him out and I want to keep his success rate high.

My goal is to have him up to the full 16" table height by the end of next weekend, but we'll see how things go.  I learned today that rushing is very much not in our best interest.  It's a good lesson to learn early.

I also think I'll buy our new planks in the next couple days.  Once we're at the 16" table, the next step is having him run on a full dogwalk, but lowered.  I better have painted planks by then!!

Here's a look at our less successful sessions this afternoon/evening:


No comments:

Post a Comment