Friday, January 6, 2012

Sometimes Things are Really Hard

Grace brought her older dog out today while Jonah ran at class.

It was much less dramatic than yesterday, thankfully.  Jonah did bark when he first saw Rommy, but nothing too bad.  I thought he was actually going to run alright, but it turned out that even just having a happy, relaxed senior dog in the ring was a huge distraction.  Here's some footage.


Aside from the problems with the second jump (so weird!), he clearly takes a look as Rommy moves later on in the course, and then he barks on course, which he never does once he's started.  He was generally slower and more distracted.  It wasn't too terrible, though.  I'll try again :).

Our later rounds were just me and Jonah on the course and he was good.  He did pull a bar.  I have it on video but don't have time to upload it right now.  Even looking at the film I can't tell why he pulled it except that he had to chip in a lot, but he pulled it with a back foot so who knows.  It just might be one of those fluke things that happens every now and then.

It was a good lesson--not for the usual reasons, since Jonah didn't have any beautiful and super fast runs as I might have liked, but I feel like it was excellent practice for him to work through having another dog around.  I'm thinking we really might have to scratch the pairs run in late January, but I think we'll be able to do it down the road if we just keep practicing and he gets used to the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment