Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January Goals

This month is going to be different than I had planned, as I didn't get into one trial so I added another at the last minute.  I'd been thinking I'd put USDAA on the back burner for a while, but we're going to get gutsy and try to get our Starters title.  So, our big thing will be to see if Jonah can be civil for pairs.  If his manners are alright, I'm not too worried about any actual challenges the course will give us.  I entered as a draw since I don't know anyone going to the trial, but hopefully we get a good partner.  Sue has told us that she's had her partners screw up a bunch, but I really hope we get lucky.  The fewer times we have to run pairs the better!

So, here's a look at December:
1.  Develop a long-term plan for 'stepping up our game.'  We didn't do it last month, so now's really the time.
     Er, well, sort of.  I think I'm just a little too structured about this.  We'll keep going to classes, fit in private lessons whenever we can, go to trials and keep working forward.

2.  Take Jonah on a social outing at least once each week.  I have no excuses not to since I don't have school.
     Yes.  Things were a little funny schedule-wise since I was traveling a lot, but we did get over to Willards a lot this month, and it was good.  We met some nice dogs and Jonah was very well mannered.

3.  We only have one trial this month, CPE at Riverside, where we'll have shots at Wildcard, Snooker, Jumpers and Jackpot.  We'll have shots at finishing Wildcard Level 3 and Jumpers Level 4.  It would be our first Snooker Level 5 and our first Jackpot Level 4 Qs.  I 'd like to aim for 3 Qs.  For Snooker, since we're in Level 5 now, I'd be inclined to go for a more ambitious plan if it's reasonable.  
     Yes!  We got all our Qs, all 1st places, earned our first Level 4 title, and earned 50 points in Snooker.  Jonah was great and it was overall a fun day.

4.  I want to improve our on-side weave entries.  I think we just need lots of practice.
     Yes.  There's always room for improvement, but we worked on this a bunch and Jonah is doing much better.  It's neat to see such clear progress.

5.  I hope to have the teeter back up to full height and have Jonah still racing over it happily.
     Yes.  Now I have to manage the opposite problem and make sure he doesn't fly off.  He's super happy and fast.


As for January:
1.  I'd like to practice running Jonah with another dog in the ring, in a pairs-like setup.
2.  I'm hoping for a successful first pairs run.  It would be excellent if we got the Q and finished our Starters title, but so long as we don't have a terrible experience I'll be alright.
3.  Take Jonah on a socialization outing at least once each week.
4.  Bring the pause table inside and practice with it frequently.
5.  Build a weave entry trainer and use it inside.
6.  Take advantage of our contacts still being outside as long as they're there.  Maybe even do some discrimination practice.


We'll see what the weather does.  For now, it's cold but there's no snow in the forecast.  Should be a good month!

No comments:

Post a Comment