Thursday, December 1, 2011

Trip Recap

Sorry I've been quiet of late.  Dave and I were away for a while and when we got back it's been time to jump right into the last push for school.  Today was the last official day of class for me, although I'll have to go back in for a few various things in the next couple weeks.  At this point, only 3 papers and one final exam stand in my way of vacation!  That will mean more time for Jonah, so hopefully the weather cooperates.

First off, here are some pictures of our trip.  Dave and I added three new states to our lists:  Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.  I've now been to 32 states.  Someday maybe I'll get to them all.  My father-in-law has done 45...that's pretty good in my opinion.  Anyway, here's some of what we saw:

There's a lot of land in Oklahoma, so if you want a new house you just build a new one.  And leave the old one right there to fall apart.

Things were flat.  And dry.

This was in a big salt lake that was mostly dried up thanks to the big drought.  I guess the water got too shallow for this guy.

Beautiful bluejay on the tree.  Too bad my zoom's not better.  Of course he flew away when I went closer.

Cool red-clay cliffs on the edges of the salt lake.

A salt plain.  They actually gather salt here and sell it.  Yummy?

As we drove west things got less flat.

...but they were still dry.



I decided this is where I would want to live if I were a mountain lion.

We went to the alabaster caverns.  Dark, but cool.  The caverns were over a 1/4 mile long.

   
We went to a windmill museum.  How cool is that?

A 1900 General Store at the windmill museum.  Quaint, eh?

1901 homestead house at the windmill museum.

Windmills.

TX!

Back in Oklahoma at the Glass/Gloss mountains.  Luckily for them, it rained (they need it)!  Unlucky for us, as the picture quality isn't good.


View from the top of the mesa.

Another mesa.

Cool shape.  How does nature do that?

After this trip we went up to Philadelphia for our actual Thanksgiving meal, and then we got back home to a very happy and excited puppy.

In agility news, I've spent most of my outdoor time raking the agility area.  It's in good shape now.  Jonah's been doing well, but we haven't done anything too difficult.  I have everything on the edges now for raking, so we do big speed circles:  weaves on one side of the square, DW on the next, then the teeter and then the A-frame.  He loves it.  I'm especially pleased with his increased speed and independence on the teeter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment