Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Gambles, Tunnels, Weaves and Contacts

It's starting to really feel like winter.  By the end of our session today, I could barely feel my fingers.

I setup a pretty basic sequence, but there were lots of varieties and it kept us busy.  Here's what we had:


So, I practiced a few ways.  For each exercise, I made sure to put myself behind each of the lines to work him from both sides.  First we tried this:


Then this:


Then this:


And finally this:


With doing each sequence on both sides, that's 8 different gambles with one setup.  Nice.

In general, Jonah was excellent.  He was great at finding his entries when I sent them out to him when the weaves were first, and he never missed those on either side, including the 90ish degree on-side entries that he's had trouble with before.

He missed a couple of the entries out of the tunnels at various points.  I don't know that either entry was really harder for him, he would just come out of the tunnel handler-focused and then not have time to judge his entry correctly.  Most of the time, though, he was great.

The only other thing he had some trouble with was the 'out' to the far end of the tunnel.  He had more trouble with it in the last setups (where I sent him across the line to the far entrance) than when I pushed out of the poles.  I guess going right past the closer tunnel end was just too tempting!

We mixed in some contact and table work and he was perfect.

Then, after I was done with the gamble, I set up a discrimination.  I had the tunnel closer to me, next to the DW.  Jonah had a bit of a case of DW suck, but once he went in the tunnel the first time he was 100% after that.  It was like he just didn't see it at first.

All in all, a good day's play.

No comments:

Post a Comment