Thursday, October 6, 2011

SCAT Trial Preview

Tomorrow we head to Connecticut for a CPE trial at the Westbrook Hunt Club.  We've never been to this facility, but I'm cautiously optimistic.  It's a horse arena on dirt with two rings.  First, I like running on dirt.  Second, I like trials where we work out of our cars/tents outside but the ring itself is inside.  Third, I like trials with two rings because they move so much faster!  Also, Jonah can add a new state to his trial list (we've got MA, NH, VT, and NY so far).

Here's a look at our runs:

Round 1? Jackpot Level 3
     Because there are two rings, I'm not actually sure if our Jackpot or Snooker run will happen first, but my guess is that it will be Jackpot.  I'm super excited about this Jackpot because the level splits are: 1-2-3, 4-5, C.  That means we get to run the same course as levels 1 and 2 and thus it should be pretty easy.  We've missed a few Jackpots in a row now and I'd really, really like to get this one.  We'll see, but things look to be in our favor.  This would be our first Level 3 Jackpot Q.  There's only one other dog in the class, so at least we'll get a ribbon :).

Round 2?  Snooker Level 4
     This snooker is run with levels 5 and C, but at this point I'm not worried about snooker.  A course can only be so hard (famous last words?), and it's really just about making and executing a plan.  We also already have 2 level 4 snooker Qs, so the pressure is off.  There are 6 other dogs in the class, though, so there will be competition on that front.  I'll have to wait and see the course before I decide how risky and high-point a plan to come up with.

Round 3:  Fullhouse Level 4
     Like with snooker, we have 2 fullhouse Qs at level 4, so I don't feel as much of a rush to get more, but it's always good to Q.  For this course I'd like to find a nice open, high-point loop and just run around as fast as we can.  Fullhouse is always fun.  There are three other dogs in this class.

Overall, if I get the Jackpot Q it will have been a successful day.  If not, we at least have two other chances to have fun and run happily.  I also want to be sure my expectations are realistic for being in a new location.

No comments:

Post a Comment