Monday, July 25, 2011

Update

Sorry I've been a little slow with the posting lately.  Not to make excuses, but I've been busy preparing for my first triathlon, which I did yesterday and which went very well.  I felt slower on the run than I would have liked, but I still managed to win my age group with a time of 1:10:49.  There's still a lot of room for improvement when I decide to do it again, though...I was even beaten by a 63 year old woman, and I was close to 20 minutes slower than the fastest time!

Anyway, in the dog world Jonah, Dave and I headed to a run-thru at DogStar on Friday to work on project distraction.  Jonah was somewhat distracted, but not by Dave.  He caught a form of tunnel suck and we just had major trouble with a tunnel/A-frame discrimination.  Jonah was also blowing A-frame contacts.  A-frames are very expensive and hard to build, so I was really hoping we wouldn't have to make our own, but we'll have to see how things go.  Anyway, Jonah had some great moments but in general wasn't at his very peak.  He was good with Dave walking around near us, away from us, being out of sight, etc.  The only time I noticed Jonah really look for Dave was when, at the same time, the outside door opened, Dave left and another dog came in.  The result:  Jonah popped out of the weave poles, but he came right back to me and went back to work.  Things could have been much worse.

We've also been doing some socialization trips and Jonah has been doing much better.  I'm working on not putting pressure on the leash from my end so that I'm not making him more nervous, and he's had multiple polite interactions on-leash now.  Good boy.

This is our last week before our USDAA trial!  I want to make sure Jonah's obstacle performance is sharp, but I'm not going to try to do too much this week.  I've seen that if I overtrain he gets a little dull, and I want this to be fun for him.  So, I have a few main tasks for the week:
-Get the chute out and do it a few times, since he has never seen one in a trial and rarely sees one in training.
-Drill our dogwalk contacts a few times a day.  He's always great at home, but I just want to make sure good, solid 2o2o is firmly in his mind this weekend.
-Work on fast downs on the table.  We don't need to waste extra seconds there if we can avoid it.
-Measure Jonah at home.  I want to have a good, current sense of how close to the cutoff he is.  If for some reason he manages to measure up, there's no way I will make him jump 26" and I'll put him in performance.
-Be a good handler at class on Thursday and make sure Jonah has an awesome time!

No comments:

Post a Comment