Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth and Goals

First off, happy fourth of July!  We're avoiding the crowds at the fireworks this year but we did just have some delicious burgers which seemed like good old fashioned July 4 food.  Next up: s'mores, as soon as we have space in our tummies.

Earlier today we went on a long run.  It was very hot and humid, but we still covered at least 6 miles, although we had to stop for a few water breaks and for Jonah to swim in some of the ponds we passed so he wouldn't over heat.  He's totally game and fit, but he does get hot.  Dave and I just bought a camelback yesterday for water, but he doesn't have that luxury.

We've also been doing a bunch of agility in our back area, and Jonah's looking great.  His DW contacts are spot on, so I just need to make sure I keep the same criteria when we're at class and trials.  I set up the line we struggled with in class and, although a few times it was still a little rusty, I got it to the point where we could consistently run it smoothly.  It's a tough line!  We've also been doing some distance work and he's been super.  I'm very pleased--he's happy on the teeter at distance, changes in direction over jumps and he's nailing tough weave entries.  Good boy.  Of course, our area just isn't that big, so even if I feel far away it's rarely more than 15 feet.  It's a good start, though.

Ok, now it's time to look at how we did for our goals this month:
1.  Get our agility area fully safe and useful, with stumps and leaning trees removed.
     
Well, I guess we fail this one, since it is not fully safe and useful.  That said, though, we've made big improvements.  I've gotten all the stumps out except three big ones (that means more than 10 are now gone!).  One of the leaning trees fell, so I need to chop it up and move it.  There's still one more leaning and I'm not sure yet when the tree guy is coming back to take it out.  So, I've done about as much as I can do by myself and now I'm just waiting for him to get here and finish it up.  We're definitely able to run full speed now much more than we were before, and it's awesome!  Now we just need to work on focusing when a squirrel runs across the ring...


2.  Go to run-thrus at DogStar and work towards improving speed while keeping accuracy.
     
Again, I guess we fail.  The first run-thru was while we were in the Poconos, and the second was the day before our two day trial, and also the day after our lesson.  I didn't want to burn him out with four days in a row of agility, so I passed.  Oh well.


3.  Have a positive time at Muddy Paws this weekend.  It could be a challenging day, starting with our Level 3 Jackpot debut, then Standard level 2, Snooker level 3 and Colors level 2.  I'd at least hope to get the Standard and Colors Q's.  That said, Jonah's had a long break from agility and this will be in a new environment.  He could find it intimidating, so I really don't feel like I should have much in the way of expectations.
     Yes!  We in fact did not get our Jackpot Q, but Jonah was fantastic all day aside from not getting that off-side tunnel entry at distance.  It was not his fault.  He was not prepared for that question, and he was foot perfect the whole rest of the trial, so I'm not complaining.  


4.  Complete our Level 2 title at Bo-Gee.  If we get the two Level 2 Q's this weekend, then all we'd need is one more Level 2 Standard Q.  We could have as many as 4 chances at Bo-Gee, so I think it's a reasonable goal.
     
Yes!  Again, Jonah was excellent at this trial and qualified in all his runs with beautiful, fast clean runs.  I couldn't have been happier with him.  He was excited and speedy and had a generally great time.


5.  Continue working towards on-leash manners.  I really want to not have to worry about Jonah acting aggressive, and I know he used to have excellent manners.  I still don't fully understand why things have changed, but I have confidence we can get the old Jonah back.
     I think we've made and are making real progress on this.  He still has little melt downs from time to time, but I'm pleased with his manners at this point and I'm not afraid to take him anywhere.


6.  Develop a training plan.  We're starting lessons with Grace tomorrow since it's just so much closer than Riverside.  I loved working with Joan, but the commute is four times longer to get to Riverside and back than it is to go to Dog Star.  I'm sure things will go well with Grace, too.  We'll have a half hour private lesson tomorrow and will develop a plan from there.  In some ways I think it would be nice to get Jonah back into a group class for socialization purposes, but my schedule doesn't fit with that at least for the summer.  I want to have a clear focus about how we are going to have a solid A-frame contact, and generally work towards speed and confidence in all aspects.  
     I guess I never came up with a concrete 'plan,' but I'm very pleased with where Jonah's training is headed.  Grace has been super to work with and I can already see real progress.  We're now in a group class for socialization purposes and Jonah handled that quite well last weel.  The A-frame contacts are looking good without too much work, and speed and confidence are soaring by the day.  I had felt like we were at a bit of a plateau, but I now feel like we're shattering that and headed for new heights.  Along with this confident, fast dog, i now have new handling challenges, but I'm happy to have them.  I certainly wouldn't want things to be easy!  


7.  At the end of June, I'd like to write out 'My Handling Philosophy.'  Steve of AgilityNerd did this a while back, and I think it's a good idea.  Mine will be tailored specifically to me and Jonah as a team, trying to maximize our strengths and compensate for our weaknesses.
      Here's my current draft, which will always be open for revision and additions:  My ultimate handling goal is to always strive to put a complete effort into helping Jonah have as fun and as confident a time as possible.  That means I will swallow human-induced pride and make unconventional choices where it will help him, whether that is running with him from the start line, allowing him to leap and bark before a run, doing extra crosses, or running closer to him than a 'textbook' handler would.  I want to try as hard as possible not to be late with crosses or do anything else that makes him lose momentum and second guess himself.  I will try to move on from off-courses as if they were planned, even if it means losing a Q.  In practice, I will try new and harder things, but I need to keep myself from getting frustrated and move on quickly to something motivating for Jonah so he never feels that agility is a place for frustration.  All in all, the happier he is, the faster he runs, and the more fun we both have.


Looking forward to the month of July, here are some goals:
1.  Enjoy our first experience camping at a trial next weekend at Sugarbush.  Hopefully collect some Q's and have a good time at a new facility.


2.  Maintain solid DW contacts away from home.


3.  Attend our first USDAA trial and have a positive overall experience.  Hopefully we get through the measuring!


4.  Continue to work on manners on and off leash with other dogs and humans both in our group class and away from home.


5.  Hopefully this month we can have our agility area up and running, without stumps or leaning trees.




No comments:

Post a Comment