Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Inside Drills

It's pretty cold and windy today.  Other than running the weaves and dog walk, I was uninspired to do much outside.  Instead, we came inside and worked on our table and contact stays. 

I piled up the big couch cushions and it didn't take long for him to figure out that it was a 'table.'  His downs were super fast and I think the stays are improving.  I worked on varying the amount of time I asked him to stay, I'd reward fast downs immediately, and I played with getting him to stop and stay even when I kept moving right past the table.  We'll keep working, but I was pleased with the results.

Then I just took a box and had him stay in his contact position with 2o2o the box.  Again I was trying to work on him being next to me up to the box, and then stop and stay until released even when I kept going right past him.  It took a few tries, and I still have to give a separate stay command at this point (right now 'contact' means 2o2o but he doesn't connect that it means 'stay in 2o2o until mom releases me').  I was just working in the hall, so I didn't have much room to work on lateral distance, but he was great with me going a good ways out ahead of me.  I'm still returning to reward his stays a few times usually before I release him.

It's nice to know that we can have some successful training even if we're stuck inside.  I know our moving handling needs a good bit of work, but we'll have great obstacle performance by the end of the winter!  Our teeter base should be here within the next week.  By then we should also know if we've won any of the equipment from the Four Paws silent auction.  It should be a good winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment